Fabrication Plant and Bays
When ADF's new facilities were completed in 1997, room was made for potential expansion, and the new fabrication plant was layed out according to a linear, automated fabrication process.
Today, after several expansions, changes to the vocation of certain bays, and the installation of the latest generation CNC equipment, the Corporation has successfully increased its annual fabrication capacity to more than 100,000 tons, and can still increase its capacity in future plant expansions.
- Facilities Layout
- Specialized Bays
ADF's fabrication plant and head office are located on a lot covering 185,807 square meters (2,000,000 square feet), near major highways, railways and the St.Lawrence seaway surrounding Montreal.
The industrial complex covers 58,530 square meters (630,000 square feet), divided in ten (10) bays, and also houses ADF's offices.
|Five fabrication bays (bays 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5)|
|One steel receiving and storage bay (bay 8)|
|Three steel handling and storage bays (bays 6,7,9)|
|One storage and shipping bay for completed steel pieces (bay 10)|
|Three outside yards surrounding the plant|
|One outside central yard|
Generally speaking, each bay contributes to the fabrication of structural steel by focusing on the fabrication of specific types of steel pieces and/or precise operations:
- Reception and storage of raw material according to current fabrication priorities, and inventory updates
- Basic and repetitive operations generally performed by CNC machines and automated equipments
- Fabrication of standard steel pieces and pieces needed in many copies
- Fabrication of secondary steel elements used in complex heavy built-ups
- Complex and heavy built-up steel components fabrication
- Trial assemblies of complex components
- Storage of completed steel pieces before delivery, and shipping.
Following is an automatic slideshow of the various bays: